Gollmar Bros. Circus Tableau / cage wagon
The cage wagon was originally built for the Gollmar Bros. Circus around 1910. By 1912, we are seeing at least one solid side and carvings, making this more clearly recognized as a Tableau / cage wagon. The Gollmar Bros. Circus used this wagon through the end of the 1915 season. One unique feature of this wagon was the small size rear wheel. They sold the show to veteran carnival man, James Patterson. He operated the James Patterson – Gollmar Bros. Circus through 1918. Patterson continued to use this wagon between his carnival and circus operations through 1924. At some point after 1924, the wagon is converted from a tableau cage to a fully enclosed tableau / baggage wagon. The wagon was then sold to Floyd and Howard King who used it on their Walter L. Main Circus, ( 1926-1927) Gentry Bros. Circus ( 1928) and Cole Bros. World Toured Shows in 1929 and 1930. As you can see by the following photographs, the decorations on the sides changed over the years.
( 1926-1927 – Joseph Bradbury Album # 6 – photo # 42D – Gentry Bros. Circus )
(1) The King shows were re-possessed by National Printing and Lithograph Co. The equipment was offered for sale and moved to the Venice Transport Co facilities where it remained until bought by George Christy in May of 1936.
( 1929 – Joseph Bradbury Album # 6 – photo # 4D – Cole Bros. World Toured Shows )
The wagon remained in the Christy holdings through 1948.
( 1948 – Joseph Bradbury Album # 15 – photo # 50B – at the Christy Bros. WQ in S. Houston, TX. )
From 1949 to 1951, the wagon was on display at the Chicago Railroad Fair. At what point in time, the wagon took on the moniker of the Lion and Tiger tableau is not certain or who started calling it by this name. The wagon is seen here with the Lion painted on this side. A tiger is painted on the other side.
( 1949-1950 – Joseph Bradbury Album # 26 – photo # 44A – at Chicago Railroads Fair )
Following the conclusion of the Chicago Railroads Fair, Norm Senhauser of new Philadelphia, Ohio bought this wagon. Norm used the wagon in various parades in multiple states from 1952 to 1964. In 1964, he sold it to the Jos. Schlitz Brewing Co. who then donated it to the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, WI.
( 1965 – Richard Cline photo )
( Circus World Museum Postcard )
The wagon is 14’3″ long x 10’6″ tall x 8’6″ wide.
(1) Bandwagon, March / April 1979, pp. 4-18.
The wagon can be seen in person at Circus World in Baraboo, Wisconsin
If you have any questions or have more photographic evidence, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org